Posted: Dec 31 2016, 09:03 AM
What is the level of this board?
We're an intermediate to advanced board, therefore we expect no chat speak and modern slang. We ask the members to do their best to utilize correct grammar, to ensure that others can understand your contributions to our story. The native English speakers should , however, take into account that many of the members don't have English as mother tongue.
One-liner posts are not allowed; three sentences should be the minimum length of a post. The length of posts can vary depending on what happens in threads.
How active is the board?
Every day there is somebody online. There are new posts every week, but not every day and not in every thread. Some writers and threads are more active than others. The hours may vary according to each writer’s time zone. Some people are on more than others but we try to keep the board as active as possible. We strive to post at least once a week in each thread, but we are understanding of time constraints when people are confronted with them.
Can we have several threads in several months? Are we in liquid time?
Yes. One can have several threads in several dates, as many as you can reasonably keep up with, as long as:
- the character isn't in two places at the same time (or at 1-2 days difference which defies the transport possibilities - e.g. if on 10-th one is in Bahamas, he can't be on 12-th in Jamaica, but on 17-th or so);
- you have in mind the sequence of events (so that one doesn't mention in a thread something as already happened when the thread takes place 10 days before said event happens).
The board calendar has all the threads listed in the chronological sequence of the story, like regular chapters.
What happens in the case of absence?
Absence is not a problem. If you'll be gone for more than a week, please post to the absences thread. Preferably also contact your writing partners for the ongoing threads. It is annoying when someone disappears without word for an extended period of time, especially if it is in the middle of a thread. If you disappear for weeks without notice, and without answering e-mails, your character(s) may be marked as inactive and archived until your return.
Are cross-dressing female sailors allowed?
If the character is realistic and not your first one, then she may be approved. Look at the rules, then contact the administrators to ask.
Am I allowed to apply as a captain of another ship of my own, other than the ones listed in the ship roster?
Yes, you are welcome to, only if you are willing tto NPC your ship's crew in threads where they are needed. Don't expect having more than 1-2 played characters aboard at any time.
I posted under the wrong account and can't delete my post. What do I do?
If you have linked your character accounts under one main OOC account, just click 'Full edit' and scroll down. Right under the text entry box, there is a little drop-down box which reads -- Current author (don't change) -- . If you click the arrow, you can select the account to change the post author
How to get threads/ plots?
- Choose a first character thought to have a wide interaction possibility.
- You receive a welcoming PM upon your approval, comprising recommendations what threads to join. You should join all the open threads your character makes sense to be involved in. In the seldom occurence that there is none for your group, you will receive the suggestion to write your open thread.
- Post in the others' plot pages, then post one yourself. Plot pages are not compulsory on this board, but they do help sometimes.
- Be active in talking in the c-box and know the others.
- Send PMs with concrete ideas to the characters yours might have logic to interact with, try to talk to people.
So, say something, be pro-active and get involved!