Posted: Dec 31 2016, 09:18 AM
CODE OF CONDUCT
These rules may be amended at any time by the staff. When they are, this will be notified in the “Monthly Histories and Chronicles of the West Indies”.
We have also a Newbie Guide and Frequently asked questions for additional details. If you have any question, just ask a staff member.
R E G I S T R A T I O N
1. Please register first an account with your nickname you want to be called for. It is preferred to be one single name, not two and not with numbers or underscores. E.g. Maria, Manon, Marielle, Dolphin, Star are appropriate names. dolphin23, Sea Star, dolphin_girl aren’t.
2. Then, register another account with your character’s properly capitalised first and last name. Make sure their name is suitable for the time period and their nationality. Check the Character Masterlist to make sure there are no doubles, except the case you make a plot point of this (with the other writer's agreement). We aren't a so big place so that we can't afford, with a little imagination, each character being its individual self, with its specific name! In case you make a mistake, PM an administrator to change your name.
After you have your character’s name account created, log in back to your OOC account (with your nickname), go to "My controls" then click on "Edit Sub-accounts". Then, just sign in to the character accounts that you are linking to your OOC member account. It is really simple. This way, every time you log in with your OOC account, you’ll have in the upper left part „Switch accounts”, offering you the possibility to directly switch between your several characters.
3. Applications should be finished within two weeks, otherwise the account will be deleted.
4. Avatars should be at the exact dimensions of 225 x 350, and signatures no larger than 500 x 250. The avatars dimensions are set by the requirements of the mini-profile. Having them of different dimensions makes the mini-profile unreadable on certain devices. Please choose period-appropriate play-bys. That means no top models in blue jeans with punk hair-dos or almost naked, and no short-haired women. Also, try to keep the play-by appropriate for your character's age, nationality, etc.
5. You may not create a female sailor as your first character.
6. You are permitted to make additional characters once you have reached a post count of twenty with your first. Having several characters in different factions and islands is encouraged, given the fact that the story somehow takes turn highlighting various factions and places.
R A T I N G
We fall on a scale (inspired by movie ratings) to the upper part of PG-13. Graphic scenes of a sexual nature should fade to black or get glossed over; other mature situations are allowed, as long as it is done tastefully, without explicit details. Please click the following for a more in-depth explanation:
A C T I V I T Y
1. Here at “Caribbean Dawn” we have a story to tell, and we work together to tell it. The preferred pace would be to post at least once a week in each thread where it is our characters' turn, the collective threads having priority. But we understand that delays might occur, as long as you communicate, and we'll adapt accordingly. Collaboration and communication between writing partners are necessary for a good writing experience together.
2. If you know you're going to be away for an extended period of time, let us know you are leaving and when to expect you back. If your characters are involved in ongoing collective threads, help us move the thread somehow in your absence. If you don't tell us anything, instead of being marked in hiatus, your accounts will be marked as inactive.
3. If you plan on leaving the RP for good, be sure to let us know so that we can see your characters out with style!
4. We are always happy to help reintegrate old players who can post regularly, once more. 'Inactive' characters need only to PM a staff member. Please note that if your claims have since been taken by someone else, you'll need to find others.
5. Abandoned characters will be NPC-ed by a staff member (or a predetermined person of your choosing) and disposed of as fits the storyline, though we prefer - and as a community, encourage - that threads are seen to completion.
6. We will always give credit where credit is due. All copyrights on “Caribbean Dawn”, its story and the names of characters therein are reserved by the original creators and the staff of this community. By submitting your contribution to the overall storyline via the characters you play, including posts and documentations of all kind, you give “Caribbean Dawn” first rights to this material.
It means that the material remains your intellectual property (and you can reproduce it anywhere else), but it will also be reproduced on the website “Caribbean Dawn” and in any publications concerning “Caribbean Dawn”, without any profit purposes or monetary compensation, now or in the future. This has no impact on your use of your character and everything submitted here in any of your other creative endeavours; we encourage this. At the same time, the submission becomes part of “Caribbean Dawn's” story and nobody can "erase" a character and its contribution from “Caribbean Dawn's” history.
P O S T I N G
1. Please write in third person past tense in your threads. First person is used for things like IC correspondence, journals, and OOC interaction.
2. We do have a post count limit of at least three sentences. Even when your muse is fickle, please try to provide something substantial to respond to.
3. Regardless of national or linguistic origin of your character, please do your best to utilize proper spelling, grammar, and avoid modern/regional slang words and phrases in exposition.
4. No godmodding, metagaming or power-playing is allowed. However, collaborative posts are encouraged. (I.e., talk with your writing partners and obtain their consent for whatever you intend to do to their characters!)
5. The board uses liquid time. Liquid time means that your character may be in multiple threads at once, provided that it doesn't interfere with your other threads (or other threads relating the same ship your character is on). Characters cannot be in two places simultaneously or on two different islands in a time-span of 2 days. This is why, besides the optional, individual thread trackers, we use also a board-wide calendar thread which is updated regularly for ease of use.
In order to avoid any time-related confusion, each IC thread started should have, at its beginning, the following information:
6. Please do not get offended personally by something that happens between characters, and please do not take things that happen inside a thread out on someone OOC. Respect the other members and treat them how you wish to be treated. If you have a disagreement with another player, either discuss it civilly outside the boards, or contact our staff to mediate.
Be creative, and have fun!